Thursday, September 06, 2007

Haunting my sleep

I was having dinner with a group of friends. We were sitting in a circle, balancing plates on our laps, eating bbq and laughing. I turned to my right and saw you sitting next to me. I was surprised and opened my mouth to say something, but then you smiled and the words left me. You leaned in and put your arm around my shoulders. I froze, fearing that if I moved, the moment would dissolve. My heart leapt and my breath caught in my throat. I was overcome with joy. But then my heart broke into a million little pieces, because I remembered that these moments never last.

Why, after all this time, do I still dream about you?

11 comments:

egan said...

It's so bizarre how these dreams of ours work. I'm guessing this is an ex of years passed.

Anonymous said...

I heard we dream about things which bothered us during the day.

Lucy Dee said...

Deep breathe and (* siiiiiiiiiigh *)

Hermes said...

The significant thing is that while dreaming you are aware that there is something amiss... perhaps occasionally and vaguely aware that you are indeed dreaming. In some religions, this means that you are on the road to a deeper understanding of yourself, of the universe, and of the nature of spirit. Perhaps you're simply on to something.

The Stormin Mormon said...

We all have that one.

I have an ex that I have not physically seen in two years, because when I think about it, it still kills me.
When I have a dream and she's in it, I wake up just in a foul mood.

Me Myself and I said...

Egan,

Yeah, its weird and a little un-nerving.

~~~~

Ropinator,

I guess. But I don't think that I was 'bothered' by this on that day. Maybe subconciously?

~~~~

Lucy,

Welcome! and yes, that's good advice :)

~~~~

Get Off My Lawn,

Maybe I am!!

~~~~

Stormin,

*ugh* I know the feeling.

Phil said...

Very well written. Dreams are strange things. Sometimes I think there is a lot of meaning in them then other times I think they are just fluff and pure entertainment.

Effortlessly Average said...

I don't think it's so much that we continue to dream about them, but how those dreams play out and how they make us feel. If having that dream makes you feel sad and off balance for a while after, it could be you've got unresolved issues with that person. I read not long ago, too, that our brains tend to take particular circumstances and assign relevance to them with respect to people who have created strong emotions in our past. In other words, something's up with your emotions currently and your brain, while processing them, decides it needs a person face to associate with them, so it picks one that's also caused strong emotions for you. Weird huh?

But what's even weirder is that I had a dream last night that vampires were suddenly emerging from the butt of my brother's dog and the only way we could prevent them from killing us was to force feel a pill to the dog the second we noticed one of the undead emerging. Now what do you suppose THAT means?

The Grunt said...

Not to make light of it but this sounds like my Ronald McDonald nightmares.

Neal said...

Dreams are just taking every thought and experience you have ever had, putting it into a blender, baking for an hour, then serving with a parsley garnish, a side of eggs, and a stiff drink. Sometimes they turn out pretty good, sometimes it's like bad wallpaper.

Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Because I told you not to, and just like a woman, you don't listen!

It's partially my fault, I mean those to be going to Ernie.