But I digress.
My point is essentially that I was born an introvert, and although I work in sales and can put on a good show….deep down in my core, I’m still shy. I don’t particularly like to be in the spotlight, and I’ll speak in public if I have to (but will find any excuse to avoid it.) I like social gatherings where I know everyone, and become increasingly uncomfortable as the number of faces I don’t recognize increases. I despise networking events, but I’ll take one for the team when required. Probably, most people don’t think that I’m shy. I guess that makes me a closet-case shy girl.
Then there is the internet: my closet door. Enter blogging and Facebook, and all of a sudden, it swings wide open!
So I have to ask….what is it about blogging or MySpace or Facebook that turns us all into a bunch of exhibitionist attention-whores?
Look at my blog, for example. Its all about ME. I talk about myself. I post photos of myself and my various adventures with my friends. Even the title of my blog is completely narcissistic!
I never got into the whole MySpace thing. But from what I've seen, its a scary place. "Hey look at me, I'm friends with 2548 people, including that guy from that show, and that other girl from that band."
Facebook is the worst though. Facebook takes the cake. Its a 24 hour brag-fest. With status updates like “Jane is…so excited about her new car!” or “Jack is…getting married on Saturday!” or “John is…going to party at the beach tomorrow all day.” Seriously!
Not that I’m any better. Believe me, I’ll be the first to admit it. Who wants their status to be something pathetic like “Photogirl is…drinking and drowning her sorrows, alone” or “Photogirl is…blogging because she has nothing better to do.”
And what’s up with the photos?
Again, I’m a total perpetrator in this department as well. I will admit, I don’t want nasty photos of myself on display for everyone to see (or laugh at, or cringe at). I don’t really want my old friends from high school saying to themselves “wow, age has NOT done wonders for her” or “yikes, either she’s really drunk in this photo or has acquired a head injury since the last time I saw her.” I want to look hot in my photos because my future husband *cough* ex-boyfriend *cough* could be lurking in my profile!
There is a line that I won’t cross though. The line between “I look good” and “I look like a cheap prostitute”. I have seen way too many photos on Facebook that have traumatized me just a little. Some things just do not need to be photographed and then uploaded for everyone’s viewing
But for all my self-righteous (and self-deprecating) views on the matter at hand...I have to say, I'm completely addicted. I guess that's why the term "Crack-book" has recently been inducted into the Oxford Dictionary. I'm serious, look it up:
Crack-book : A highly addictive online drug that provides a feeling of euphoria to the user while they partake in a social networking utility that allows users to boast shamelessly about themselves to the world at large.
This concludes tonight’s mish-mash of thoughts. I’ll leave off by pointing out that below you will find a picture of me and my new hair.
16 comments:
I think you were on the right lines, when you talked about craving acceptance. I think we all want to receive acceptance for what we do. And it seems the internet has a lot of people who will provide it for us.
We may be shy (me to) but we are still social beings, and this blogging rubbish seems to be an outlet for us shy people.
Hair is looking good.
yes, bloggong is addicting for all those reasons.
I won't use myspace or facebook. Blogger is plentyfine for me.
I'm with Green.
MySpace is for drama laden kids.
FaceBook seems to be the version for drama laden adults.
Blogger is for people with more to talk about, and less to work themselves up about. (And a Blogroll is so much better than a "top eight," everyone gets equal treatment.)
You make "too much Celeste" sound like a bad thing. When will you learn, silly girl.
The internet definitely erases my shyness and insecurity as well. Maybe it's having the control over how and if people see you. Maybe I'm just funnier when viewed in Times New Roman. Who knows?
I'm pretty sure I could charm the knickers off a nun if one would add me on AIM.
I'll post another comment when I think of more things to say about myself.
Weird. It's the exact opposite for me. I found my life as a rich successful jet-setting surgeon became too much for me; the drink, the women, all that money.
Enter "NiolK" my depressive, man-child e-persona. Now I feel much less stressed when drinking Champaigne from a models ass crack and masturbating into a €500 note.
Andre,
Thanks.
And yes, I agree, just because you're shy doesn't make you anti social.
Green,
Good. Don't start facebooking, cuz I'm telling you, you won't be able to stop!
Storm,
Yeah! I hate that 'top friends' shit. They have implemented that into Facebook now and it think its so elitist and obnoxious.
Aww Grunty :) Always the loyal fan, you are.
Ryan,
What are you talking about? You're fuckin HILARIOUS in Times New Roman! I have to be careful not to drink too much water for fear of peeing myself when reading your posts :)
Hee. I'm so with you hon!
Cxx
Such a strange phenomena all of this. I really wonder what it will do to the our kids down the road.
Claire,
:)
~~~~
Scott,
Excellent point.
The introverts can come off on the internet as anyone the want to be with minimal damage.
I've done my best to not give untruths, unless they are so outlandish that no one could take them seriously.
Oh I dunno, I just ran across your blog and took some time to peruse and you look like time is treating you pretty good actually. Beautiful eyes. Oh, and fine taste in motorcycles too.
Post a Comment