Road Trippin, that is!!! From Van Isle ---> Calgary. Just me, myself and I, with an iPod full of tunes, a cooler with snacks and my bathing suit (ok and like an entire suitcase and backpack and trunk full of clothes/shoes/etc).
I'm on my evening stopover in lovely Revelstoke, BC where I am catching some zzz's at the local Best Western before I resume my journey.
My day started at 5 am, with a mad dash to catch the first (7 am ferry) off the island, and of course it was full, but luckily there was an 8 am sailing (normally they run every two hours). It was a blessing in disguise, because I napped in the car for an hour before boarding.
Here are some shots from the ferry (because you know that every road trip album simply *must* have the quintessential "here's me on the BC Ferry!" shot, even though us islanders have taken the ferry at least a hundred times...)
I'm on my evening stopover in lovely Revelstoke, BC where I am catching some zzz's at the local Best Western before I resume my journey.
My day started at 5 am, with a mad dash to catch the first (7 am ferry) off the island, and of course it was full, but luckily there was an 8 am sailing (normally they run every two hours). It was a blessing in disguise, because I napped in the car for an hour before boarding.
Here are some shots from the ferry (because you know that every road trip album simply *must* have the quintessential "here's me on the BC Ferry!" shot, even though us islanders have taken the ferry at least a hundred times...)
Below are some various shots from the road. Its a long trip (about 15 hours) and I've broken it up into two halves. This first leg is basically Vancouver to the Rockies. Tomorrow I head out through the Rockies, Banff, and into Calgary for a week of visiting with LiIttle Bird, and of course: STAMPEDE! (The Greatest Outdoor Show on Earth....their words, not mine. Though I can attest to the fact that its a LOT of fun). Sorry for the rambling and grammar/spelling errors if any, I don't have the energy to re-read and perfect. Anyway, enjoy the pics and I am sorry I have been neglecting your blogs. Life has been BUSY lately, but I will endeavor to catch up soon :)
Oh and if you're wondering why I'm posting while on vacation, well, I'm alone, and there's not a whole lot to do in the hotel room alone, so I brought my laptop! smart me huh? ;)
This is the "last spike" site. Where the last spike of the railroad was put in, way back in the day. Its a history lesson I don't need to get into right now, but note the train in the background? Yeah, it was moving...very quickly, and it was deafeningly loud! You see these looooooong trains all along this trip, its pretty cool.
This is a view of Mt. Baker from the highway Vancouver ---> Hope.
A rock face on the Coquihala Highway (Hope ---> Kamloops). The highway is bizarre, today I got sunburned from the drive, but last week it snowed here! You can never predict the weather.
Another shot of me at "the last spike" site.Another one of the long trains.
10 comments:
It's fun to go on this road trip, vicariously, with ya.
ROAD TRIP!! Loved the pics! I'm new to the blog but loved you're last couple of posts.. The pics are great! I'm headed today to Panama City Beach, Florida myself.... See ya next week!
Great post! I am loving the roadtrip!
Cxx
Grunt,
I'm glad you are enjoying yourself :) I'll keep you guys posted (for lack of a better word ;)
~~~
GKW,
Welcome! Have a good trip.
~~~
Claire,
Thanks! But between this and facebook, its kind of time consuming to keep everyone updated!!
Road trips rule! Nice pics =)
Solo road trip, nice one.
Great mountain pics!
There are plenty of things one can do in a hotel room alone that doesn't involve a laptop ;]
I hope to someday follow in your footsteps on this kind of journey, except I'll be riding the rails a la hobo.
I really love a good road trip. And I think it's great to do one by yourself. It can be quite a soul searching experience. It's beautiful area up there. Thanks for sharing the photos!
Spacecake,
Thanks!
~~~~
Dogga,
I can always count on you for a comment like THAT! haha
~~~~
Blog Portland,
It actually would be a wonderful trip to do by train, because you can actually see things better instead of concentrating on the road. Though, as a hobo, you might get stuck in a freight car with no windows...
~~~~
Egan,
I agree. I really needed this time to be by myself and do some reflection.
Oh man, to go on a road trip alone. I'd kill to be able to do that.
Great photos.
Post a Comment