Sunday, July 29, 2007

My new camera, architectural tour in my beautiful city, and BONUS: goats on the roof!

This week, my colleague and I took an Architectural Walking Tour in our city. It was a beautiful sunny afternoon, and a perfect opportunity to try out MY NEW CAMERA!! Yes, that's right, I finally bit the bullet and bought my baby. (how's that for some fancy word-work?) My new Nikon D70s is my pride and joy. I have to wonder if I could love a child as much as I love this camera? (I can safely admit that I never loved Hunter this much.) Below you will find a sampling of photos I took on the tour, as well as a few others I took on the weekend.

How lucky am I, that I live where I do?

And today, my parents and I took a drive up to Coombs, which is this hick little tourist trap up island with the Old Country Market, sporting the famous goats on the roof.

This is a building from the late 1800's, originally used as a furniture factory:
This building was originally built with the purpose of becoming a hotel, but never fully realized its original purpose, instead, becoming home to commercial tenants:
The Porte Cochere (original carriage-way entrace) to The Fairmont Empress Hotel:

My other baby (can anyone guess what this building is?):

View from the ferry at Tsawassen terminal:
Beacon Hill Park:
View of the ocean from Dallas Rd:

Don't jump!
Grazing peacefully on the roof:
Max:
A hallow, or horcrux...or maybe just some random Orb I found hanging outside my grandparents house:

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cor, new gadget!!! I'm happy with my Canon 350D for the mean time :]

AMAZING photos dudette - The harbour picture, sea grass, goat and especially the hound shot are all fabulous. Well done.

JLee said...

Those are great!! The one of the ferry is stunning...

Scott said...

Very nice pictures... I think that I like Max. i am pretty sure that he and I could be friends.

Anonymous said...

Great pics!! I have a canon 20D myself except that it's got a problem now with the shutter. Don't know why, I only shot about 50,000 softball pics through it!

The Grunt said...

I think I am in love with your new camera as well, Celeste.

BTW, I just tagged you. Come see what it's all about on my blog. I'd pull your pony tails too if you had them;)

Thomas said...

Goats on the roof? I am so jealous.

bronxbt said...

hi there! i found you from "it's not me, it's you." 's site...
and not only do i love your pics.. but i have a question to ask you:

i was looking at the Nikon d40 package at costco and i'm not sure of the value/diff between yours (D70) and this one.

it came with 2 lenses, charger kit, tripod, bag, blah blah blah.. but the features and functions don't seem to suffer too much between the 2...

any ideas? suggestions?
either way, i'm a fan of your site as of now (looove yer pics, and YER pic too!)

so i'll be back.
take care

~ bronxbt

Ryan said...

Wow those are great pictures. I especially like the one with the stuff in it.

A word of caution though. Be very careful around strange orbs. I have gotten into all kinds of trouble trying to take pictures of them. I have a reputation around here now.

NiolK said...

Gotta respect goats on a roof.

Mistress Empyrean said...

Amazing photos. Now I just have to figure out how to get a goat on my roof to graze.

Me Myself and I said...

Dogga,

Thanks dude!! :)

~~~~

Jlee,

Thank you! Yes, that one is one of my new favorites :)

~~~~

Scott,

I know you would be friends with Max! He loves everyone...especially nice people :)

~~~~

Gkw,

Oh, good excuse to buy a new camera!!!

~~~~

Grunt,

:(

I was reading and thought you were about to say "I think I am in love with you" but of course, you are only in love with my toy. Pfft. Boys! Such is life... ;)

Oh crap, I forgot about the meme! I'll try and get to it tonight.

~~~~

Thomas,

Really? You need to get out more!
haha

~~~~

Bronx,

Welcome! and thank you! Hope to see you back soon.

As for the kit you mentioned, it sounds like a pretty good little set up. From what I know, the D40 is a very decent camera for the amateur shooter who has little or some knowledge of working with an SLR. I hope you go for it, it'll be a fun camera!

~~~~

Ryan,

Welcome! and thank you!! thanks also for the note of caution. I will take great care the next time I approach an unknown orb with my camera :)

~~~~

Niolk,

Even better...gotta respect when people try to pet them, and in turn, the goat tris to steal the person's hat!

~~~~

Mistress Empyrean,

Welcome! Thanks :) I am still trying to figure that one out myself...I figure its best to leave it to the professionals (ie: the rednecks)