Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mind your manners

My father has a company that makes a food product. I don't want to get specific, for confidentiality's sake, so pardon my rather ambiguous use of the word "product."

The product is sold in many stores on the island, and on the weekends my dad also works at the local Farmer's Markets to sell his product. On Thursday nights he comes to my town to sell at a local market, and I, like a good daughter, spend my Thursday nights helping him out. Its a good system, he does the cash and sales, I keep up with the samples.

Which brings me to my topic at hand.....MANNERS.

To promote the product, we set out free samples in little cups for passersby to try. Its a great idea because many people inevitably exclaim "wow, this is delicious!" and then buy some.

I am always friendly, I smile, I say hello, I offer up free samples, and yes despite my upbeat demeanour, I am continually SHOCKED and DISMAYED by the number of people who do not say Thank You.

I figured out tonight, that probably only about 30% of the people who take a sample, actually take the time to say Thank You, as they walk away with their free food.

But that's not even the worst of it. My favorite samplers are the ones who won't even LOOK at us. They skulk up to the table, with their eyes glued downwards, grab a sample and then scamper off as quickly as their ungrateful little legs can move. YOU'RE WELCOME FOR YOUR FREE SAMPLE!

My next favorite samplers are the ones who come back for seconds! (or thirds, or fourths) These people are doubly bad, because a) they usually don't say Thank You and b) they don't ever actually buy anything. Its bad karma people, don't you get it? You're only supposed to take one. Its a SAMPLE, not a MEAL REPLACEMENT.

Anyway, despite the rude people, I still enjoy my time at the market. We have our regulars, and I always love seeing people's faces light up when they try our product and realize just how fabulous it is! I also love that I get to hang out and spend time with my dad...that fact alone makes it all worthwhile.

Moral of the story....next time you take a free sample from someone, THANK THEM. Preferrably with a smile :)

15 comments:

Jerk Of All Trades 2.0 said...

Don't forget that about 40% of people are shy.

Is the "product" Nanaimo bars?! Those are AWESOME!

If you were giving out free samples, I'd say thank you. Big time.

Evil Spock said...

Evil Spock has been guilty of sampling more than once, but Evil Spock always says thanks.

Me Myself and I said...

Jerk,

True, and I feel for them, because I used to be painfully shy too. However, I still always said Please and Thank You :)

~~~~

E.S.,

I'm glad to hear it!

Anonymous said...

Being brought up in the South, I've always been taught to say please and thankyou. And I've always expected it. Like you, I get MAD when I see people being rude. It doesn't take much effort to have good manners and it makes others happier.

Jay said...

Odds are they're just intimidated by your powerful presence. That or they're all dirty fucks.

Scott said...

That is brutal, but I see it all the time. Every time that I go to Costco there are ass holes there who push people aside to get their hans on a fried cheese stick or whatever. I think they go there for dinner. Very rude indeed.

Wendy said...

yeah, I agree with Jerk. Some people are shy but they should say thank you and smile.

egan said...

I see you've met my sister.

egan said...

Ha, I read Scott's comment and thought of my sister. She's one of those annoying Costco people who makes dinner out of sampling.

JLee said...

Rude bastards! I am always thankful for free food...

Me Myself and I said...

Gkw,

Amen bro!

~~~~

Blog Portland,

That's an excellent point...I do tend to intimidate people by my obscenely gorgeous presence. Its a terrible affliction, I know.

~~~~

Scott,

Oh oh!!! I know those people too! grrr

~~~~

Wendy,

Its like free boob shots. People thank you when you post those pics, right? Its common courtesy! ;)

~~~~

Egan,

LMAO!!

~~~~

Jlee,

Heck yes, me too! Free food is definitely something to be thankful for.

The Grunt said...

HAHAHA! I totally get a kick out of the "meal replacement" types that cruise around those bulk grocery stores looking for free samples around lunch time. Of course, the sample workers probably don't have too much invested in whatever they are handing out. I can see it being much more offending when it's your own business and your own samples that you are giving out.

NiolK said...

I'm not a big smiler but I've got kick ass manners and always say thank you. I'm a polite motherfucker.

But people, as I have said many times, are cunts.

Hunter wouldn't take that kinda shit.

Me Myself and I said...

Grunt,

Well put. Yes, when you put your own blood and sweat (ok maybe not THAT extreme) into the product, it makes it seem even more rude not to get any thanks!

~~~~

Niolk,

Good point. Maybe I will keep Hunter around for more than just sex. He might make a good "free sample bodyguard".

Christie said...

A local movie theater did a test during Christmas time to see how many people actually said thank you after being helped by their employees. The management agreed to give everyone that said thank you a free pass for their next movie. Guess what, only 4 people in 1 week said thank you. FOUR! I am amazed. I say thank you too much. Thank you.