Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Now I know how my dad felt!

Tonight I took Sah driving. Yes, we all turned 16 years old 10 years ago, and no she has not obtained her drivers license yet. (no judgements Sah, you know I love you :)

Sah and her man own a standard, which in my opinion (and hers) just complicates things when learning to drive. I own a little automatic that is easy to drive and park, so I've agreed to help her with lessons.

So off we went tonight to the mall parking lot, with Ernie in the backseat, for comic relief and helpful technical driving tips. After awhile in the parking lot we ventured out into the nearby neighbourhoods and side roads, to work on proper turning techniques and habitual shoulder-checking. By the end of the night, our girl was a pro! (and only gave me one slight heart attack.)

Anyway, the moral of this story is that now I have a new-found respect for my father. He taught me to drive, and until tonight, I never understood why I wasn't allowed to drive on real roads until I'd had several lessons in the parking lot first!

13 comments:

Phil said...

That's about 3 years away for me with my one son. I'll probably do what the Pillsbury Dough Boy did on Dylan's first lesson.

Claire said...

Oh man, your friend has my empathy (and you have my sympathy :-)). I'm learning aged 26 and it's really hard!

Cxx

Evil Spock said...

26?!? Wow.

Me Myself and I said...

Phil,

Yes, you may want to bring a change of clothes with you ;)

Me Myself and I said...

Claire,

haha. Well, I'm just happy I can help her :) Good luck with your lessons!

Kayla said...

That's hard to comprehend..waiting until 26 to get a license!
I went to take the test the very day of my 16th birthday, even though my parents would not let me drive by myself!
I have experienced being a passenger in my nephew's car while he was learning to drive..
Words cannot express my level of fear!
haha

The Stormin Mormon said...

I learned at 14...
Thank God for North Dakota.

As for the car, I can't believe that you just called it a "standard."

Me Myself and I said...

Kayla,

I wrote my test on my 16th birthday too. I couldn't wait to start driving!

Me Myself and I said...

Evil Spock,

I know, I look young for my age! ;)

err..that's what you meant, right?

Me Myself and I said...

Stormin,

Yikes. The thought of a 14 year old boy behind the wheel of a car is enough to keep me well off the road! (if I ever visit N.Dakota)

What's wrong with standard?

Scott said...

You are a good friend! Very cool. I tried to teach a gf once how to drive standard, that did not go so well.

Scott

Anonymous said...

You brave soul. My dad left me alone, briefly, in his running Cadillac and that was the first time I drove a car. Did I forget to mention that I was only three years old? Luckily, the dirt was real soft and it just dug a hole. My dad was able to reach in and turn the ignition off. He found me hanging from the bottom of the steering wheel with both of my feet on the accelerator. Good times!

JLee said...

That is hard! My dad and I fought so much, that my cousin's friend (who had a crush on me) taught me how to drive. Of COURSE he didn't yell at me when I would hit the curb! ahha