I swear, I could write all kinds of posts about bizarre people I've had the unfortunate chance to meet on an elevator.
Just yesterday I was at the mall, and this woman in a wheelchair got in behind me. I turned to her and smiled and she exclaimed "I'm pissed off!"
I smiled again and said "oh, I'm sorry."
She then proceeded to tell me, "Yeah, I'm pissed at my boyfriend. He called me and I told him never to say that f'ing prick's name again!"
I, again, smiled and said something like "oh. I see."
Then she tells me, "Uh huh, he knows I'm mad now."
So I responded with some kind of lame joke like "yeah, well you look like a tough girl, I'm sure he knows."
She says "Yeah! My ex boyfriend is a Hells Angel, he taught me how to take care of myself. Well, I just told my boyfriend not to say that f'ing pricks name again."
I think she said that exact line (about the f'ing prick) at least 5 times on the ride up, and we only went up three floors!
Not to sound completely insensitive...but what made her think that a) I care and b) I wouldn't be offended by her repeated use of "f'ing prick" ? Well anyway, you all know me and I'm not easily offended, BUT, she was really obviously bitter, and honestly, I just didn't want to talk to her. What do you even SAY in that situation? Just smile and nod, I guess.
Saturday, January 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
22 comments:
Hahaha, don't you just hate situations like that, especailly when you can't get away! LOL
Well handled, I think :]
Smile and nod... thats all you could do.
Maybe you just have that sweet look about you and people feel the need to confide in you. Did you want to hit her with a spoon?
I agree with geek.
Or pretend you don't speak English. That's what I do when I'm on long plane rides so the guy next to me doesn't talk my ear off.
Dogga...I know! no where to run. Hey, how was the pub-mas??
Geek...Ok (I'm smiling and nodding)
RR...haha! a spoon. No. That would be cruel..I mean, she WAS in a wheelchair ;)
Evil Spock...you are a genius! Next time I'm going to ramble off something in french and look really apologetic that I don't speak English.
Why can't all people in wheelchairs be inspirational and positive like they are on TV?
Holden! I'm shocked!!
PS...shocked...but laughing loudly.
I'm a fan of "Oh, I'm sorry, you must have confused me with someone who gives a crap."
Perhaps you have a caring face?
And since you reacted so well to the first occurrence of her profanity, she probably thought you were OK with it.
AML...oh, if only I could pull that off as smoothly as you ;)
Dan...good point.
So how is life, Celeste?
Thomas...is that a joke? In case its not, I'll answer: grand! Life is great :)
Pub-mas was brill thanks.
Post coming soon!
AH, I call those "smile and nod" moments.
I keep telling myself over and over again "Smile and nod....just smile and nod....." while looking for the nearest exit and backing away slowly.
Good times, you could have made it more fun by getting her more riled up...
why don't they weirdos attract one another? why does nice, relateivly normal me (and you) attract them?
Dogga...brill? Speak english please. I mean, Canadian english ;)
Jerk...that works if you're in a bar or something, but an elevator! Next time, I'll hit the button for the next floor, regardless of whether I actually want that floor or not.
Scott...I thought aobut that, but she has "Hells Angel" self defense training and I really didn't want to get hurt ;)
Sean...I guess its like they say: opposites attract.
Oh darling!!!! HAHAHAA. Love it! This is where you add in that you are dating the head of the italian mafia and if she doesn't zip it, u will use her heroin needle to pop her tires! That, or hubby Ernie will come after her with a round house kick. (My comment gives Holden West's a run for its money, doesn't it!)
Ernie! I don't even know how to respond to your vulgarity and violence. Who are you and what did you do with my husband?!
That would have been a convenient time to start answering a "call" on your cell phone.
Grunt...YOU my friend, are a genius too!
Post a Comment