Celeste, I've seen this happen before. This tends to be the case of a "dormant" blog. I think Google makes money selling them off based on website hits to the former blog. Those are the forth and fifth ones I've seen. Free blog I guess.
I assumed he just took it down. I've seen friend of mine do this from time to time. Google makes money from selling Adsense. Google wants us to blog and grow readership so we'll consider putting Adsense on our blog to make money. The more people who do this, the more money Google can charge for the ads. It wouldn't make any sense for them to randomly take blogs away. I've seen some sit dormant for years. As long as the creator doesn't delete it, it just sits.
Yeah, I have four other blogs just for my own amusement that I hardly do posts on. I have let one sit for about five months. They are all still intact.
Niolk just seemed like he was going through a transitional period. He will probably show up when he lands a new job. Thomas (Tom Delay blog, Slackers with Advanced Degrees--with several variations of that title, Cold Leftovers, and now American Sweatpants) does the same thing and his readers just know that is his M.O. and we just deal with it.
The thing is, these guys delete the entire blog and it removes all the comments and access to old posts. I personally think that is bogus. They should just change the blog address and title. That way they can keep the archives and the comments from people who are their friends.
I blog for many reasons. I used to write a ton for writing's sake. I blog so that the public can read it and interact with me. I consider that part of my life and I will not erase that purposely. Taking my blog away, well, that's like me looking at you, Celeste, and all the great comments and interaction we've had via this medium and saying, "Nope, I am just feeling a bit pissy today. Bye bye, Celeste! *Delete*". That is inconsiderate, I feel.
Blogs can become a community. My blog started as something small and personal, and now it is Gruntonia. What kind of fascist prick would I be to take that away from you guys. I would rather just hand over the title of Grunt to someone willing to carry it on in my behalf, if I ever needed to retire from the scene.
Yeah, I deleted it. Sorry, it's quite rude of me but I knew if I did my usual "I'm calling it a day" post someone would convince me to stay.
I'm fed up in the real world with no end in sight and that would have shown in the blog (or should I say continued showing) with pissy moaning posts which I don't find to be therapeutic.
Thanks for your concern though.
(See I'm even a downer in comment form)
I'll still be around reading everyones blogs and making inappropriate comments.
Grunt...yes, you're right, it IS quite a little community. Sometimes (like the past few days) I actually start feeling really guilty if I don't post, or read other people's posts because I'm too busy/tired/etc. As much as I like my blog, sometimes it almost feels like work!
If I have your email, which I think I do, I can notify you. I think it happens if you don't touch your Google blog for 4 weeks or so. I'm not sure what the exact time frame is though.
I stand corrected based on the remarks. It's weird how that does happen though. Bloggers do come and go.
14 comments:
Celeste, I've seen this happen before. This tends to be the case of a "dormant" blog. I think Google makes money selling them off based on website hits to the former blog. Those are the forth and fifth ones I've seen. Free blog I guess.
What the heck? I wonder if these guys even know what's happening to their blogs?
That sucks. I liked Niolk. You still have me, Celeste.
I bet they don't. I know the person I notified wasn't aware there was a problem.
Grunt...me too! He totally cracked me up.
Egan...damn! that really sucks. if this ever happens to me, please tell me! (if you can find a way to do so)
Geek...yes, let's start our OWN blogging program. Actually, no, that sounds like too much work ;)
I assumed he just took it down. I've seen friend of mine do this from time to time. Google makes money from selling Adsense. Google wants us to blog and grow readership so we'll consider putting Adsense on our blog to make money. The more people who do this, the more money Google can charge for the ads. It wouldn't make any sense for them to randomly take blogs away. I've seen some sit dormant for years. As long as the creator doesn't delete it, it just sits.
Yeah, I have four other blogs just for my own amusement that I hardly do posts on. I have let one sit for about five months. They are all still intact.
Niolk just seemed like he was going through a transitional period. He will probably show up when he lands a new job. Thomas (Tom Delay blog, Slackers with Advanced Degrees--with several variations of that title, Cold Leftovers, and now American Sweatpants) does the same thing and his readers just know that is his M.O. and we just deal with it.
The thing is, these guys delete the entire blog and it removes all the comments and access to old posts. I personally think that is bogus. They should just change the blog address and title. That way they can keep the archives and the comments from people who are their friends.
I blog for many reasons. I used to write a ton for writing's sake. I blog so that the public can read it and interact with me. I consider that part of my life and I will not erase that purposely. Taking my blog away, well, that's like me looking at you, Celeste, and all the great comments and interaction we've had via this medium and saying, "Nope, I am just feeling a bit pissy today. Bye bye, Celeste! *Delete*". That is inconsiderate, I feel.
Blogs can become a community. My blog started as something small and personal, and now it is Gruntonia. What kind of fascist prick would I be to take that away from you guys. I would rather just hand over the title of Grunt to someone willing to carry it on in my behalf, if I ever needed to retire from the scene.
Wow, what a long comment!
Oh, throw one of these in there where appropriate: ?
Damn my impulsive commenting. I have no consideration for grammar% There I go again!
Yeah, I deleted it. Sorry, it's quite rude of me but I knew if I did my usual "I'm calling it a day" post someone would convince me to stay.
I'm fed up in the real world with no end in sight and that would have shown in the blog (or should I say continued showing) with pissy moaning posts which I don't find to be therapeutic.
Thanks for your concern though.
(See I'm even a downer in comment form)
I'll still be around reading everyones blogs and making inappropriate comments.
AML...thanks for the info.
Grunt...yes, you're right, it IS quite a little community. Sometimes (like the past few days) I actually start feeling really guilty if I don't post, or read other people's posts because I'm too busy/tired/etc. As much as I like my blog, sometimes it almost feels like work!
Hello from Seattle.
Niolk...I'm sorry to hear it. I do, however, expect inappropriate comments on occasion :)
Thomas...hello!
i miss NIOLK too. kinda feels like we got broken up with.
If I have your email, which I think I do, I can notify you. I think it happens if you don't touch your Google blog for 4 weeks or so. I'm not sure what the exact time frame is though.
I stand corrected based on the remarks. It's weird how that does happen though. Bloggers do come and go.
Post a Comment