I joined a new gym this week, because its too far to drive to my old one. I'm a little sad about it. My old gym was familiar, I had my routine, there were never any surprises. It was small, clean, a little smelly at times, but I did like it.
My new gym is much bigger, on three levels to be precise! Most of the equipment is good, but there are a few machines that are very intimidating. If I didn't know I was in a gym, I would mistake them for equipment to be used in a torture chamber.
As a new member I was given a free body composition analysis. Hmm, great. I get to find out how much body fat I have. Just what every girl wants to know. So I went in yesterday and had it done, and guess what folks, she determined the following:
-I'm tall. (doesn't take an analysis to figure that one out)
-I'm healthy. (sounds about right)
-I'm dehydrated. (despited drinking a lot more water that day than I normally do)
and....
-I have too much body fat. WTF?!
Now, not to toot my own horn too much here, but I'm thin! I know I'm not perfect and have areas I'd like to improve, but to tell me I'm at the high end of the scale for B.F.%? Is this chick's body composition machine working properly? OR...is this all a ploy to get me to sign up for hundreds of dollars worth of meal plans and personal training?
She gave me a goal to replace one pound of fat with muscle per month, and set me up to work with a personal trainer on Thursday (free with my sign up fees, of course) who is probably going to tell me I need to be running my ass on the treadmill for an hour three times a day and lifting weights that only superman should be lifting. Fun. Can't wait.
OK, OK. I joke around, but I actually am looking forward to it. Whether its a bunch of bullshit they are telling me or not, I'm happy to have a new gym, and at the end of my goal timeframe, that body composition machine is only going to give one result: SMOKIN HOT.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
I think those measuring machines have only two settings: (1) ready to do the Ironman Triathlon therefore you need a lifetime membership, and (2) you're an out of shape lump therefore you need a lifetime membership.
In other words, a marketing ploy.
Of course, I find great irony in people that drive to the gym but I'll leave that one alone! :)
holden...who is this? do I know you? Yes I agree, a definite marketing ploy.
Geek...aww you're making me blush :)
I'm pretty sure the content of your analysis is valued on par with what you paid for it. You can pretty much say the same things for 90% of the women in Vic, except for maybe the first point..
perhaps you should give her a free "customer service analysis" next time you're in the gym...
hugs!
This is further proof that fitness trainers hate us regulars.
Good times... have fun at the new gym. I am pretty sure that you are perfectly healthy with your body fat levels. They will try and sell you personal training. Such good times.
Scott
I have never been to a gym in my life. But, if my doctor has his way I will start going to pool therapy. I don't know if I can bring myself to go to a gym. I am too shy. And, it brings back horrible memories of my ex picking up chicks...
You're hot, that is all that matters!
Derek...good point.
Grunt...bunch of lazy bums that we are!
Scott...don't worry. I'll be strong and I won't fall into their trap!
Wendy...I agree. It can be intimidating at first. But once you get into it and if you go with the mindset "I'm here for me and not anyone else", its gets comfortable really quickly.
Ernie :-D
I meet one of Holden West's two requirements, yet I have excess body fat.
The whole body fat/BMI stuff is bullshit. I hate those measurements. I can tell you're fit based on your pictures.
There are also plenty of reasons to drive to a gym. Mainly gear and weather so it's all good Celeste. Driving somewhere to go for a run is a little dicey though.
ok so i get out of the whole gym thing cause i'm an invalid and all which was really a great fucking thing when i was younger but as i get older it really is starting to turn on me and i realize i actually WANT to go to the gym. there was a time when i was not so pained and crippled-like and did yoga like crazy and i actually joined a gym but never went so i have utmost admiration when anyone says they've started going to the gym because man i couldn't get in there. blame it on grade school dodgeball. fuck, if only oidgeball was sueable.
hi celeste :) k bye.
i have no idea what "oidgeball" is but it sure sounds mean.
Egan...thank you. And thanks for sticking up for me on the driving to the gym front :) I agree, when its raining the last thing you want to do is show up for a workout looking like a drowned rat. Plus I'm a busy girl so I don't want to cut into my gym time by spending 40 minutes walking there and back!
Grrlsweat...hi! dodgeball is an EVIL game.
I drive to the gym all the time because there aren't any near my house currently. I used to have one about a mile away, but I still drove then because a 3 minute car drive is about a 10-15 minute walk. No thanks as that's 20-30 minutes less I have to workout. Not to mention the freaks that hangout near gyms. I think that about covers that topic.
You have too much bodyfat ? MY ASS. They're just lying to you... Don't believe them!!!! lol. But congratulations on the new gym haha
"Sir, excuse me, sir? I can't seem to get this machine to work."
"Ma'am, will you please get out of the painter's scafolding."
Post a Comment