Ok then for all you guys and girls who just begged for more, I'll give you a few details. I will warn you, this story doesn't really have a happy ending...you may want to keep a box of tissue close at hand......
So, on Wednesday night I went on a date with Ben. It was a blind date, so we decided to meet for coffee and go for a walk. I showed up and he was already there waiting, we did the somewhat awkward "hi, nice to meet you" dance, and then he asked what I wanted to drink and ordered for me. This got him brownie points right off the bat. Men, if you are meeting a girl for coffee and show up first, do not get a coffee before she arrives. I have had this happen, you show up, they are sitting there with their beverage, and you feel like a fool because you have to go up and order and wait around alone at the coffee bar while they are sitting there probably feeling just as silly. Anyway, Ben ordered, paid and off we went on a walk...
He is fairly new to Victoria, so we walked down to the Galloping Goose and I showed him around the Shipyards and a construction site for a project I worked on. We chatted about some pretty generic stuff, and he had to go after an hour and meet some classmates he had just finished a course with. No problem, it was short and sweet which is how a first meeting should be. I came home with a pretty big smile on my face. I have to admit, I was expecting it to be a big disappointment like some dates I've had in the past. But, he turned out to have some very excellent qualities.
A couple of hours later he called to say he really enjoyed meeting me, and to see if I would like to go for dinner with him the next night. I said yes.
So, the next night we meet for dinner at a restaurant downtown. He showed up looking a little frazzled and as soon as we sat down he said "I had a bad day, I need a drink!" Understandably. I often need a drink after a shite day, so we ordered some gin. As we're waiting for the drinks he says to me "You know that big decision I was telling you about last night? Where I've been asked to go away for work for six months?" I reply "yes." He says "Well I had to make the decision today, and I'm going. I leave in three days."
So I sat there a little stunned. What do you say in that situation? I think I managed something to the effect of "wow that's a big decision. That's great." See, its a weird thing to meet someone for a date which normally means you have the opportunity to see them again if you want, and be told "so yeah, I won't see you again until March." At that point I almost thought "well that the hell's the point of being here then?" But we had already ordered and he really is a nice guy, so I stayed and we ate and talked and discovered that we do have quite a few things in common. By the way, word of advice: do not go on a date to Cactus Club. Its so noisy in there, it makes conversation a gruelling ordeal.
After dinner we left to go somewhere quieter where we could hear well enough to have a proper conversation. And I decided if circumstances were different, I would see him again. And he was very sweet and told me he doesn't expect a smart, beautiful girl like me to be single when he gets back....but if I am...well...
So there you have it ladies and gentlemen. Such is my life. I meet a good guy, and he's leaving in two days.
Friday, September 08, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
14 comments:
That's rough and awkward, Celeste. Good on ya for getting up there, though. Trooper, that's what you are.
oof. That is not fair and it feels like a kick in the gut. But, you never know what distance and time can do...maybe some good phone calls and nice flirting...who knows?
Okay, I read this story expecting something really terrible. I must admit this isn't a bad story in my mind. You met someone you like and it seems the feelings are mutual. Sure he's leaving town in a couple days, but the reward could be worth it. If anything, he made you feel good about yourself and hopefully he gives you hope the dating world isn't all bad.
Celeste, this a cute story. I'm sorry he's leaving, but there are a lot more positive spins than negative ones with this. The grin on your face after date one should serve as a reminder.
Oh yeah, Cactus Club can also be tough because the servers are half naked college age girls.
celeste, i am with the boyz on this one, no not on the half naked college girlz... on that smile that you have had for the last couple days, and ego boost which may elevated you right into the next dating synario. I mean I am the queen of the date then dash move, and that definatley isn't what this guy is doing. He'll be bacl;) In the meantime u have me :D I know, I know not quite the same. That deserves a big "Woopty DO!"
Thanks everyone! Actually, I would like to clear something up. I did write about how its sad at the end, but it was kind of a joke. (that was just the drama queen in me.)
I definitely see the positive side to this experience. It never hurts to meet new people, even if they're in your life for just a short time! And yes, it was an ego boost I needed and I have more confidence now about the next time I hop back in the saddle :)
hey I feel the same as Egan and Ern on this one.
a great ego booster into the next dating scenario:)
well now there is a light and thats kinda romantic too you know,....to meet him again when he gets back..that is if you are still single
See, that is the problem... a great catch like you won't be single for long...unless you adopt my rating system. Then you are destined to a future full of cats. Who by the way also have to be over a 5 to live with me;) I guess it is a good thing you are wayyyy over a 5;) A jerk, I'm a jerk!
Could long distance equal phone sex? Are these the good phone calls Wendy is reffering to?
Sorry, there was too much sunflower and rainbows going on. I wanted to bring it back to roses and lace.
Lindz...yes,IF I am still single! ;)
Ernie...you're not a jerk. You just have standards that are way too high and harsh, and you're just naturally a snobby mean person.
AML...what? sunflowers and rainbows can't be sexy? I don't think I can have phone sex with him while he's away. His calls are probably monitored. Guess I'll have to resort to sexy emails.
Excuse me while I cry my lil eyes out. No wait, Celeste is the sissy girl in the realationship, I am going to take this comment like a man! "You suck Celeste." (And this is where i punch you the next time I see you and then we go back to commenting on chick's racks and watching sports as if nothing has happened)
I just re-read my second to last comment...as I recall it I was actually complementing you and you lash out. The claws definatley came out. Harsh.
Err, ok. That is kind of harsh. But yeah, it doesn't mean something can't happen when he comes back, now does it? <:
Ernie...lol! I've said it before and I'll say it again, you are such a man!
Spaceckae...if I'm not swept off my feet in the meantime, of course!
Post a Comment