Last night was fantastic!
Ernie, Diana, her friend (I can't remember his name so from here on out he will be referred to as Markus), and I headed downtown to Open Air to see Dallas Green. We got there expecting to be able to buy tickets from scalpers or someone who just had extras, but unfortunately there weren't any around. So we headed to the box office at the back area of the venue to see if they were open, and when we got there we looked over and Dallas was hanging out skateboarding with the other band, killing time before the show started. Diana turns to me and says "go ask him if he can get you in!" I was like "hell no! I don't have balls that big!" So Diana, bless her brave-heart, walks up to him and asks if he can get us in. He says he's sorry, but its sold out, and we can listen for free from outside the gates. Well yeah, we already know that, but we want to SEE the show. Oh well. So Diana and Markus went inside, and Ernie and I sat on a bench outside.
Pretty quickly we realized we had a very sweet deal. Diana and Markus were only about 15 feet away on the other side of the fence and had to stand the whole time, and could barely see the stage. We had a way better deal, a comfy bench to sit on and we were able to hear the music just as well. Ern and I had a nice long chat, with Dallas' beautiful voice providing very excellent background music, plus we had the perfect vantage point for making fun of the many tragic outfits making their way in and out of the gates. Seriously people, when did short skirts, polka-dot shirts, oversized brightly coloured pleather belts and knee-length tights come back into style? I thought we left those behind in the 80's with Madonna!
At one point I went to the washroom, and, keep in mind here this show is being held in one of the less savoury areas of downtown. (ie: drug addicts and drug dealers, hookers, you know, the usual.) So I'm finishing up and this group of very loud, immature girls comes in and they all start yelling and squealing about the needle drop boxes located in the stalls. The "conversation" goes a bit like this:
"Oh my GAWD, there's a needle drop box in here!"
"Ewwww, that's DIS-gusting!!!"
"Ewww, I know. Oh, this is so gross."
(screaming and yelling from several girls)
"Why do they have these in here? What the hell? Ewwwww!!!!!"
My head starts to ache instantly. If they had even an ounce of brain in their little twinky heads, they would have realized that needle drop boxes are not actually that gross. In fact, I think that needles littered all over the floor would be much more traumatic, but hey, that's just me.
Here are some photos from our little evening. I managed to snap a couple of shots of Ernie, with some boys getting arrested in the background. Also, Diana came out and grabbed my camera to snap a shot of the show for me. We finished the evening with appies and drinks on the roof-top patio at the Wicket. I am very reluctant to see summer coming to an end.
*Blogger is being un-cooperative so I will post photos when it lets me
Saturday, August 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Ah, summertime fun is slowly coming to an end. Drat! Celeste, I'm going to have to check out that band now. You didn't think you had that kind of influence on me, did you?
Geek...you can always do the alternative...get a sitter for the kid, put some tunes on in the backyard, and sit on a blanket under the stars :)
Grunt...ah! you've figured me out! It's all in the subliminal messagery.
Celeste, you forgot to mention the part where Dallas Green mentions our courtyard encounter with him to everyone during the concert. Apparently he said something to the effect of "why would you want to pay for tix when you can listen for free!"
And you were so close with the name of "the friend", it is Marshall. I had such a good night! Thank you :)
Ernie...oh yeah! Thanks for the reminder, I forgot about that!
hey-glad you had a fun time! sorry alley and I didnt make it down. I was zonked! we just stayed at her aprtment all night.
I have ben listening to their music though and Im in love with it:)
Geek...hmm. I did respond to your comment earlier, and it has disappeared. Damn blogger, so unreliable. Anyway, I"m sorry you have such large mosquitos to contend with.
Lindzy...whatever, jammer! You missed a good show. Ok so we missed a good show too, but we heard it alright ;)
Ah, summer concerts, it has been too long for me. I just rented an apartment to a ticket broker. I thought he only did sporting events, but apparently he sells anything that has tickets. So hopefully I'll have a hook-up soon. He'd better give me a good deal too or his maintenance requests may not be answered as quickly as he would like. "Water is leaking from where? Oh, how much were those concert tickets again?"
Post a Comment