Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Yin and Yang


Life. There’s never a dull moment is there? Well, at least not for me…and I say this without ego or conceit because believe me, I often find myself lying in bed at night wondering and wishing for some stability, some calmness…but the older I get the more I realize that it’s a fruitless endeavor. You see, its all about balance. Yin and yang. Just when you’re up, something happens and you fall flat on your face. And then when you think you’re never going to find the energy to pick yourself back up, suddenly you find you're back on your feet and feeling stronger than ever before.

I had a boyfriend a few years ago who talked a lot about yin and yang. (Like how after sex in the evenings I was always wide awake, while he was in a comatose state…but after sex in the mornings he was up and raring to go, and I just wanted to go back to sleep.) Back then I thought he was full of shit and was just trying to get me to go to sleep (or wake up) but now that I’m older and wiser (almost as old and wise as he was back then) I’m starting to truly understand what its all about. Take today for example:

My morning started out horribly. I woke up with a splitting headache and before I could finish my breakfast I was bringing it back up. Don’t ask why, because I don’t have an answer to that question. I went back to bed for a bit and felt better this afternoon. This afternoon was pretty neutral…I worked from home and then went to the coffee shop to read. Then this evening I had a wonderful long chat with a dear friend and mentor, shared some stories, got some advice and came home feeling at peace with myself and my place in the world. Now, I am sitting here typing this out and there is the most beautiful sunset I have seen in a long time. So, my day ended brilliantly. Yin and yang. It all works out.

I will end this post with a little advice to anyone who will have it: enjoy those fleeting moments in between the ups and downs. They are precious little gifts of time that make all the yins and all the yangs worth every smile, laugh, heartache and tear, every memory both good and bad.

4 comments:

Spacecake said...

I know exactly what you mean. I always keep hoping for some stability, though I know there isn't any heading my way...

Ok, that's enough of that deepness, 'cause I forgot what the point was of what I was about to say (DAMN!!!! I should sleep - I always say that, yet never do it).

Oh yeah, now I remember. It's always like that yin and yang. If my day starts out badly, it usually ends in a good way. And when I wake up feeling like I own the world, I know something's gonna kick me in the ass pretty soon so I just want to go back to bed, close my eyes and never wake up to face my destiny :3

Wendy said...

great post and just what I need to hear.

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

I could delve into my thoughts on yin and yang, and wax the philosophical...buuuut I bet I won't. I'll go this direction instead: man, it sounds like you had a lot of sex with that older guy. Hee hee, I know I'm a pig.

Me Myself and I said...

spacecake...how many times do I need to say "you need some sleep girl!"

wendy...it was my pleasure

absent minded...typical man comment :-P