Friday, July 14, 2006

Bizarre encounters of coincidence on a patio in the village

It was a brisk evening, but very nice to be sitting outside, getting some much-needed fresh air. My muse (a non fat decaf Mocha) and I spent some time enjoying my favorite coffeeshop patio, watching people, writing, and thinking… I had no idea this seemingly ordinary night would yield such an interesting experience.

First, I ran into the Unemployed Lawyer. I think he even shot me a dirty look, which I have no idea why or what I did to deserve that. This was not exactly an interesting experience, but I do think it had some meaning. Probably something to do with fate telling me its OK that I’m not ready to date again and won’t be for long time, because look at what I’m NOT missing!

Second, I ran into my friend and colleague Rob. We had a nice chat while he was having a cup of coffee and waiting for his laundry to dry.

Just as I was wrapping up my draft post for the evening (which I scrapped altogether to replace with the following…) an older gentleman walked by and asked how my studying was going. I smiled and said I was just doing a little bit of writing. He stopped and asked what I was writing. So I explained it was just some personal stuff, nothing serious. Next thing I know he’s offering to buy me coffee, and sits down for what ended up being one of the most fascinating conversations I have ever had with a complete stranger!

Over the next hour his dog (who could have passed for Pepper’s twin) sat at our feet while his owner told me about how he used to work in the lumber industry and how he bought an old railroad from someone and found a way to sell the 500,000 rail road ties to a company in Los Angeles. He talked about a colleague he visited who owned a 50 million dollar estate on Orcas Island, where he would shoot liquid cement filled beer cans from a cannon at nosy passersby in boats. He spoke of his friend who raised “Beefalos”, which apparently are a cross between a cow and a buffalo. When I accused him of pulling my leg because I have never heard of a “beefalo”, he told me it was a true story, and that as a writer (he truly believes I am a writer despite my efforts to convince him otherwise) if I ever want to write a book he will be happy to tell me all about his 18 lives. When he told me he once fell off a cruise ship I laughed and asked “how exactly does one end up falling off a cruise ship?” He told me he got into a fight. “So!” I said, “you were pushed off a cruise ship!” He laughs, “no, not exactly. I threw a punch, missed the guy, and fell straight overboard.”

We talked about real estate. He invests heavily in the industry and in the second mortgage market. Turns out he knows all about my projects. He lives about an hour up island and when I asked what he was doing in the village so late, he explained that he’s been in AA for many years, and he volunteers and attends meetings here. “That’s what living the high life does to you,” he says, “too much money, too much indulgence.”

Then as I was packing up I saw another business associate of mine from project I worked on last year. Its funny, I can go to this coffee shop 20 times and never run into anyone I know, and then in one night I run into 3 people who are either directly or indirectly associated with me, and/or my work.

Its remarkable how sometimes just when you are starting to let the shadows of doubt creep in at the edges of your mind, something happens to completely reaffirm your confidence in yourself and your future.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, the Unemployed lawyer was probably scowling because he knows that you are totally out of his league and a great catch!

Second, that is an amazing day. Right place, right time. Interesting people, connections and coincidences seem to come out periodically when you least expect them, but when you are are open to the experience.

Always makes me feel alive.

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

I am a firm believer in the fact that nothing happens by accident. Even though we may not be able to see the entire path, there are little things that happen to shed light along the way. We just have to be paying attention enough to catch them. (hopefully this redeems me after my last comment)

Me Myself and I said...

Serenity...yes, you are absolutely right, but I still don't think I deserve a dirty look!

Me Myself and I said...

absent minded...you have been redeemed :)

NiolK said...

I want to meet this kick ass dude with the dog. What an interesting bloke. I like his style, to admit that he put himself over the edge of the boat and I sympathise as I put myself through a window in fight once (not as manly as it might sound; it was a really small flimsy window and I only went partially through it, though I did get round of applause when I went back to class).

Oh and Beefalo is fucking priceless. You should copyright that before someone else does.

Wendy said...

dude has sour grapes. You are out and living life well.

And, what a great day and conversation! maybe him calling you a writer over and over is a subtle nudge from the universe.

Me Myself and I said...

Niolk...ok, shotgun on BEEFALO! Now its officially my word.

Me Myself and I said...

Wendy...sour grapes is right!