Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Sharkwater


We went to see Sharkwater last night. Its a documentary about the global problem of 'shark finning' which they say will eventually lead to the extinction of sharks if we don't do something to protect them.

I have always loved sharks. I think they are amazing creatures, and I was very saddened by what I saw in this film. I had no idea that this was happening in the world. The cinematography was beautiful, and it was a very interesting and informative film. However, I found the narrator and director of the documentary to be a) too dramatic and b) very one-sided. I realize though, that with films such as these, they do tend to show only one viewpoint, so I definitely kept that in the back of my mind while I was in the theatre.
Anyway, I would recommend this film to anyone interested in nature, the ocean, preserving the planet, or just learning more about sharks.


14 comments:

Wendy said...

I saw something similar on PBS last night with Matt Damon narrating. Although this documented water ecosystems failing all throughout the world. But, the most horrific, they did sho fishermen catching and slicing off the fins of shark while still alive and then tossing them, still alive to drown in the sea. All soo Hong Kong can make rich people pay $100 for shark fin soup and $1200 for a pound of dried shark fin. Fucking losers.

Me Myself and I said...

Wendy,

I know, its disgusting. I almost cried when I saw the scenes of them finning sharks that are still alive. Its unbelievably cruel.

JLee said...

I am not a huge fan of sharks, but that is so wrong! Just for some damn soup?

Me Myself and I said...

Jlee,

Yes. And according to my bf (who was just in Asia), the soup isn't even that great.

The Stormin Mormon said...

See I am terrified of sharks, but I just keep my ass out of the ocean...

The Grunt said...

I know about shark finning and it is a horrible waste of a living thing. That'd be like killing a cow just to eat its tongue.

Cow's tongue (lengue) makes great taco meat, btw. It just looks gross.

Claire said...

Even though they terrify me (I think it's the eyes!), I too am fascinated by sharks...I'll look out for this!

Cxx

2 Dollar Productions said...

I have no great love for sharks, but this is a bit too far for me. I would, however, like to see them all rounded up and put in a contained part of the ocean, so that I knew I would never encounter one on my travels. Ha.

Me Myself and I said...

Stormin,

Exactly. Just like if I was terrified of lions I wouldn't go tromping through the African wilderness.

Me Myself and I said...

Grunt,

Ew. Cow tongue.

Me Myself and I said...

Claire,

If you are fascinated by them, then I assure you, that you will enjoy this film :)

Me Myself and I said...

2 Dollar,

Excellent suggestion. However, that would throw the balance of the oceans' ecosystems right into shambles. Maybe we need to just do more research into portable (wearable?) shark repellants?

Fleur de Bee said...

Hi Photo Girl! Thanks for visiting my blog! Nice to meet you! I have always been fascinated with Sharks too and I think I did two science reports on them when in Grade school and one in Jr. High! haha. However I refuse to get in the ocean with then for feedings so count me out! I think I am too afraid I may be the meal as they are not able to be controlled! Also my friends Dad died on a scuba trip and was bit by a shark...very sad!

I have not seen that movie so I will have to check it out!

Have a fab weekend and come visit me again!

Me Myself and I said...

Ballerinagurl,

Thanks, and welcome to my blog too! (I found you via Jlee :)

Haha. I did science reports on sharks in grade school too!

Yes, I agree, I would have a hard time jumping in the water if I knew sharks were in it. (We're lucky where I live, its way too cold for sharks.) As much as I think they are amazing, I also don't want to lose a leg!