Saturday, September 16, 2006

Well that's just fucktastic!

I am losing faith in our good city. Its going to the shitter with all the crackwhores and crazy homeless people who've completely taken over the downtown core. Its disgusting. Let me tell you about how I was nearly swindled out of money, and also blatantly robbed today:

Story #1:
I pulled in to a parkade this afternoon and immediately this woman approached my open window. I slowed down and she started explaining to me that she is a lawyer from Ontario who needs money because she is late for a wedding, and her car ran out of gas, and someone stole her wallet. Being the good actress that she is, she is dressed for the part in a nice dress with some relatively nice looking jewelry, complete with puffy red eyes (from "crying") and a balled up kleenex in her hand. The conversation goes something along the lines of:

Her - I know this sounds crazy. Some guy thought I was a hooker so I am now talking to women.
Me - Um..ok.
Her - I need help. I need some money.
Me - I don't have any cash. I am on my way to a bank.
Her - Oh great! Can I go with you?
Me - No.
Her - (starts to "cry") I'm supposed to be in the wedding party's photoshoot at a hotel across town and I'm an hour late.
Me - Did you call the hotel?
Her - Yes but they are all in the photoshoot.
Me - So what do you need from me exactly?
Her - about $25 for gas. I will pay you back with $10 extra tomorrow.
Me - (incredulously) Your car ran out of gas in the parkade??
Her - Yes, the gas guage wasn't working.
Me - Why don't you just take a cab to the hotel?
Her - Because I can't leave the rental car here.
Me - So its a rental car?
Her - Yes, from Budget. I have tried for an hour and a half to get ahold of them.
Me - Why don't you walk to the Budget place? It's two blocks away.
Her - (starting to look flustered) Umm...I can't. I got it from the airport and I don't have the paperwork with me.
Me - Ok then, where exactly is this car of yours?
Her - Somewhere over there. Oh nevermind, if its too much trouble don't worry about it.

The lying drug addicted bitch exists stage left.

*Note: as I explained this story to Ernie tonight she said "oh yeah, that happens all the time. My sister gave a woman who told that same story $15 once!"

Story #2:
Later this afternoon, Sah and I went downtown to get some dinner. Unfortunately we had to park in one of the sketchier parts of town, so I locked up the car and off we went to get our supper. About 1/2 an hour later we returned to the car and from about half a block away I noticed that my passenger car window was completely down!! I was like "What the? Why is my car window down?" We got to the car and it looked OK. Didn't seem to have anything missing, all the CD's, car stereo, new book purchases, etc. were there. Weird! So we drove off to her house. As we were walking away from the car I remembered "oh! I need to grab my bathing suit". Which is when I returned to the car and realized my backpack was no longer in the back seat where I'd left it! SHIT SHIT SHIT!!! We have no idea how the stupid F#%K who stole my pack got into my car, probably the window was mistakenly left open a crack and was forced down. Lovely. Fucking crackheads.

Needless to say, I'm in a pretty sour mood about the whole night. I used to love going downtown, and now I am tempted to hate it. Its dirty and overrun with drug addicts. Something really needs to be done!!

18 comments:

Ernie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ernie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ernie said...

I hate this.I feel so shitty for you. I wish that there was something that I could do to make it better. Maybe we can make a fun day out this and go bating suit shopping. We will find another great one for you!!! Plus they are on clearance right now. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Anonymous said...

Bummer!!!!

Although there are some bad crackwhores out there, there are also those who do bad things to the homeless - those who by choice or consequence - who just can't find a home...I heard someone set a homeless man on fire. It doesn't solve anything.

egan said...

There seems to be a similar crime spree going on down here in Seattle. I'm willing to bet they broke into your car using what's commonly known as a "jimmy stick". It's slides between the windown and the weatherstripping.

What kind of car do you have Celeste? I'm so so sorry to hear about this. It's a complete violation and such a hassle to get things back. I can deal with the wedding fake story, but the breaking into cars and houses goes way too far. Sucky thing to happen anyways.

egan said...

I like what Guggengflurgen had to say about this too. There are people that aren't homeless that are just as bad. Ernie also has the right idea so hopefully you're out shopping right now.

Spacecake said...

Crap, that really sucks :/ I hope you get a new bathing suit for you and you get over this.

I thought this city was crappy but I don't think I've ever come across anything like this here.

Me Myself and I said...

Ernie...aww honey, thanks. At least I got a free backpack from the gym today!

Guggs...yes, I do agree that violence towards the homeless is terrible. We need to find a way to help these people.

Egan...thanks, yes its very sucky. I drive a Honda. I have never had a problem until last night, but my brother has had his broken into several times. The shite thing is that I have a car alarm, but I can't leave it on because its very sensitive and goes off at all hours of the night!

Spacecake...you're lucky. Enjoy living in a good city while you can.

Geek...so you and your wife briefly considered it (Ummmm) but in the end decided it was probably not such a good idea (...no). ;)

The Grunt said...

I'm sorry, Celeste.

I am convinced that the meth addicts around here believe that they are pirates looking for "treasure". My cousin was robbed by one that we call "Fucked-up Ted". He is quite the pirate, indeed. My cousin has since moved away and got better digs. No more Fucked-up Ted. Maybe he's in Canada now, dating your beloved crack whore, who is now wearing your bathing suit. It could happen.

Huw said...

When I first moved to London I used to attract such sob stories. I stopped getting them after a year or so; something about my appearance must have made it clear they'd just recieve the sort of tired cynicism you dished out.

On the plus side for you: umm.... an excuse to go bag shopping...?

The Absent Minded Landlord said...

Here's my silver lining comment: at least they didn't break your car window. I've had that happen when all they took is change from the ash tray. Nothing like breaking a $150 window for 15 cents.

egan said...

Celeste, I was going to guess Honda or Toyota. Did you buy yourself a new bathing suit?

Scott said...

So what are you going to do to make your city a better place??

That sounds sarcastic... sorry that you lost your stuff and sorry that the druggies are everywhere, it is pretty intense stuff and really bad in our downtowns. I hope that it gets better.

Scott

LindzyPinzy said...

yah we have some major issues with homelessness and drug addition and its only getting worse sadly to say.

LindzyPinzy said...

woops on the spelling but I guess u are prob. used to my spelling errors by now hey?

Me Myself and I said...

Grunt...well our climate IS very nice up here. I'm sure Fucked Up Ted migrated this way like the REST OF THE HOMELESS PEOPLE!

Huw...welcome! I got a free backpack from my gym the next day. How's that for good timing?!

AML...funny you should say that because I was thinking the same thing once my anger cooled off. Yes, thank GOD I didn't have to pay for a broken window.

Egan...not yet. Still looking for the right one. Its not an easy task.

Scott...I don't know!! Any ideas?

Lindz...I'm starting to think you've got the right idea, living out in the sticks.

S. said...

let's just hope that you had something hyper disgusting in that backpack--like a tube of shit (why the shit would be in a tube i am not even sure) or maybe a pair of bloody panties, maybe.

Me Myself and I said...

Sabrina...unfortunately (or fortunately?!) note. Good suggestion for next time I leave a backpack unattended in my car.