Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The beauty of silence

I'm reading this book right now:

A good friend of mine lent it to me recently, and I picked it up today. I'm about a third of the way through, and can barely put it down.

The timing on this one is impeccable...as I'm embarking on a bit of a journey of self-discovery of my own this year.

I spent most of today in silence. Except for the occasional word uttered to my roommate, and a quick "I'll have a non-fat no-whip cafe mocha please" at my neighbourhood Starbucks, I basically either read, or went about my day's activities sans-words.

And I have to say, what a refreshing and relaxing day I've had. So much so, that as I sit here, I'm having a hard time even formulating these thoughts into a somewhat readable format. Its amazing how much we get caught up in our daily lives with words and sounds and obnoxious noises that we've become so accustomed to, that we don't even notice them...until we cut them out. Even music today seemed too much for my senses, once I'd realized how much I'd been enjoying my quiet day.

6 comments:

Phil said...

Hi Celeste,
My wife is reading this now (or may have finished it). She also has it on CD. I am such a non-book reader. I go mainly for Time and The New Yorker magazines. I thought maybe it was a reading thing then I tried the audio books and couldn't finish those either. So I figure it's me and not the format.

More than you care to know I'm sure

The Stormin Mormon said...

I've been listening to enough music for two people (I think my Zune is up over 1700 plays).

That said, I always manage a couple hours of dead silence a day while reading the WSJ. It is probably some of the best time in my day.

Neal said...

It seems everyone is reading that book. I saw it all over the place while I traveled.

The Grunt said...

Quiet moments are some of the best moments. I have found that being quiet with a person can sometimes communicate more than words.

Jay said...

OK, so I just saw someone reading this on the shuttle today, and thought "Hmmm, interesting title." Now with your post, the universe must be telling me something. Either that or Amazon has really upped their marketing efforts.

Me Myself and I said...

Phil,

To each their own. I go through phases where I can't read fast enough to get through all the novels on my shelf...then I'll go a month or two without reading one at all.

~~~~

Stormin,

What is a Zune? I'm so out of the loop!

~~~~

Neal,

Not surprising. I can see that it would appeal to people (women) from all over the world.

~~~~

Grunt,

I agree! I hate when people think silences need to be uncomfortable. I wish I could have more comfortable silences with others...there is something...well, comforting, about them. :)

~~~~

RZV,

The universe does work in mysterious ways! Or sometimes, like in this case, fairly obvious ones!